Sisters with Flair

Friday, February 4, 2011

We May Not Survive Another Snow Day!


WOW, what a week! No doubt you’ve heard about the horrible mess that has spread across most of the U.S. One of the reasons we moved to Texas was to escape the cold ice and snow that we grew up with in the Pacific Northwest. Apparently even Dallas isn’t exempt from Mother Nature.

The ice storm hit Monday night and we eagerly anticipated the first “Snow Day” of the school year and that was pretty fun. By Wednesday we were beginning to experience rolling power outages and with four kids out of school and David working from home, the novelty was definitely beginning to wear off. Cabin fever has set in and both little boys have bruises to prove they are utterly and completely done with each other and sharing one small room.

Still, the ½ of ice was not budging with the temperatures in the teens and another snow day was announced for Thursday. Not only was my patience completely gone, now the pipes have frozen in the seldom used bathroom off the game room. It was definitely time for a craft project and one that in theory could make me feel a little warmer.

A couple of years ago I picked up a few 100% wool sweaters at Goodwill for $3 each. After felting the sweaters by washing them in hot hot hot boiling water and soap and then drying them a couple of times and steaming them with a hot iron the sweaters were nicely felted. The arms were then cut off and sewn at the end to make sparkling cider covers and the tops were tied with ribbon.

I purchased a new laptop this semester for school and decided it was time to put the felted wool pieced to good use. I just measured my computer and added a ½” for the seam allowance. While I love the color gray, it was a bit boring so I cut some yellow circles out of another piece of felt and stitched them to the front. Next I ran a few stitches along the front and back to give the overall piece some detail. Finally, since I didn’t want a bulky feeling from the seam I didn’t turn this inside out I just sewed along the outside edge and added a flap with Velcro to keep it snug and secure.

At least something in my house is warm….it’s now Friday with yet ANOTHER snow day. This morning we woke up to 4 inches of snow covering all the ice and I’m beginning to think it will never end. I just went to clean up spilled hot chocolate and found this mess by the back door.



We may not survive another snow day!

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed you have snow boots! The snow's dreamy excitement has definitely warn off! Love the sweater pouch!

    ReplyDelete