Sisters with Flair

Monday, May 17, 2010

Dessert for Dinner


I am not exaggerating in the least when I tell you that we grew up eating dessert EVERY night. Mom would send us off to school and then make the dessert for that night. Occasionally, my brother Eric, "the crepe expert," would make these for dinner. We never stuff our crepes with anything but sweetened sour cream and strawberries. I was nervous to make these the first time, but I actually am better at making these than pancakes, (I burn pancakes too much!)I made these for dinner last night because I figure it really is a balanced meal- carbs, fat, protein (2 eggs), and a fruit. Here's the recipe I use from "Cuisine at Home."
Basic Crepes
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl using a hand mixer on low. Scrape the sides down and then mix for about 10 seconds, until the batter is really smooth. You'll need to let it chill for at least an hour and up to 24 hours.
Next, heat a 10 inch nonstick pan on medium heat. I take a silicone baster and rub a little butter on the pan in between each crepe. Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup and pour it into the hot pan. You need to immediately swirl the pan around to cover the entire base of the pan. It'll take about 1 minute to cook each side, just flip with a spatula. Just continue to cook them until the batter's gone- it goes by pretty fast. You can make these ahead of time and put them in the fridge- wrapped up of course, I think they last about a week. They'll taste just as good!
I just add a little powdered sugar to the sour cream and strawberries to sweeten. So good, and I always feel just a little bit fancy after I make these:)

No comments:

Post a Comment