Sisters with Flair

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Shortbread aka: The Jean Shrinker


Every spring I slip on some capri's and think, "Dang dryer! You shrunk my jeans again!" Well it's confession day. I'm going to admit, this shortbread has a special place in my heart & apparently in my waist too! Every Christmas my hubs makes his family's Scottish shortbread recipe and sometimes I'm nice enough to share. Sometimes I'm not! If you like shortbread, you'll LOVE this recipe. If you don't like shortbread- GOOD! More for me! WARNING: This recipe is for the patient bakers. I've got the patience of a 2 year old when I'm in the kitchen, so like most of my baked goods- I leave it to my hubs to perfect. Don't blame me when your pants don't fit after this!
Grandma's Scottish Shortbread:
-1 1/2 C cornstarch - 4 1/2 C Flour -3/4 C powdered sugar
-3/4 C sugar -1 1/2 lb butter -Raw sugar or sanding sugar for the top

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Sift together cornstarch and flour. Cream butter and sugars and blend into the sifted mixture. Press into a 12x16 cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour until barely light brown. Immediately cut into pieces while hot but don't remove from pan! Then add sanding sugar to the top for looks and let it cool in cookie sheet. Don't remove until completely cool. Freezes well too, not that I ever have any left over!

Hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment