Sisters with Flair

Friday, February 26, 2010

What's Old is New Again


About 6 months ago I came across a set of old kitchen cabinets at an estate sale and knew I had to have them. Cabinet doors work great for different projects, the different layers and additional molding add a lot of detail that really make it come to life and add visual interest. Last night I attended a baby shower and rushed to get this finished in time, but the results were worth it. The baby’s room colors are black, white, and blue, a few of my favorite colors.

To begin, I had so sand, fill, and sand the cabinets some more. Lots of elbow grease, these had definitely seen better days. The outside of the cabinet was painted a beautiful light robins egg blue color (about 4 coats). Since this will be going in a baby’s room, I didn’t antique and stain the paint, I just added a matte sealer to protect the finish. The finish will take at least 24 hours to dry so don’t try to rush it or you’ll have a mess on your hands. The inside was then painted with about four coats of chalkboard paint. This will take four days to cure until it can actually be used. The last step was adding the decorative metal piece for the final finishing touch.

So the next time you see a discarded cabinet headed for the trash heap, grab it, it could turn into your next new project!

No comments:

Post a Comment