Sisters with Flair

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Confessions of a cheapskate


So lets face it. I'm cheap. I hate spending alot on decorating, but I NEED to decorate. What's a girl to do? Insert cheap wall art. Every piece of "art" (I use the word art loosely) on my walls is homemade. EVERY single piece. Pathetic I know, but very affordable. I needed a wow factor in my oldest daughters room but didn't want to spend alot so I started with a really big canvas. 24'' x 36'' and painted it our favorite color, hot pink. It needed more texture so I traced around a wide rimmed glass and hand painted circles in a lighter pink. Because polkas make everything better. And while we're on the subject of polka dots- did you know you can screw up making polka dots? In my earlier polka years my mom banned me from painting them because I didn't do them right. Apparantly, you can do them wrong. But not to worry, get enough chocolate in ya & amazingly your twitching subsides and the polkas become perfected. Phew! I'm so glad I'm no longer banned from painting them! What kind of messed up life would this be without polka dots? O.K. enought of my polka banter. I did this all with basic craft paint. Warning: You use alot on canvas because it soaks it up! After several coats of paint, I let it dry for 24 hours. Then my mom & sister cut some vinyl words for me. Vinyl is my bff. I think I've used it in EVERY room in the house. I simply applied the words on top of the canvas and VOILA! Cheap wall art. I bought the canvas at Hobby Lobby using my 40% off coupon and the whole project cost me around $22. If you want to create your own masterpiece you could modge podge your own cutout letters or hand paint them as well. I want to buy a bunch of smaller canvas' and let my kids create their own art work for their rooms. They'll feel like picassos and it won't break the bank!

No comments:

Post a Comment