Sisters with Flair

Sunday, April 11, 2010

When I have grown a foot or two...Missionary tag


My friend Teri asked me to come up with a special sign for her son and nephews several months ago. Always willing to take on a new challenge, I was happy to oblige. Teri had a brilliant idea to create a missionary tag complete with the customized name. Along the bottom she wanted to add “When I have grown a foot or two…” lyrics from a children’s song our kids know quite well. Neither of us had seen it done but the picture in our head looked AMAZING.

So this is what I came up with.

The supplies were easy, I used a piece of wood that measured approximately 9.5” x 12” x 2” I liked the thicker width so it could stand on its own. The entire thing was then painted in 3 coats of my favorite black paint. As a sign-maker {I've been selling on etsy as Nestlings for over 5 years}, cutting the lettering is the easy part. I used a font called Serlio to make it look a little more authentic and more of childish font for the song lyric. For the do-it-yourselfer, I think a cricut would work but I've never used one so if it doesn't please don't hold it against me. Most of the time I’ll distress the edges, but this time I wanted it to really look like a missionary tag so I left it alone. Once the lettering was applied I sealed everything with a few coats of varnish and let it dry.

Almost makes me wish I were the CTR 8 teacher,I’d have gifts ready to go! {Kidding, that’s not a challenge I’m up for right now!}

I linked up to:
Photobucket

Show and Tell Green

8 comments:

  1. Did you use a cricut for the lettering? I don't have one so I'm trying to think of what other method I would like to use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I use a sign making plotter/cutter. The cricut might work, I have a general idea how they work but I've never used one before so please don't hold it against me if it doesn't! If you think of a way to do it without a machine will you please let us know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really really want one of these for my boys! love it, sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think I will be making 3 of these very soon. I love them. What a great reminder to hang on the wall in my boys rooms... Great idea..thanks for sharing...... :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you make a sell this on your etsy website, I would love to buy one. Very cute idea.
    smithchic@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so clever! So fun to put in your boys (or girls) room as a little reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! How do you know the font for the church logo?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Serlio is not the official font by any means, it's just similar enough to do the trick.

    ReplyDelete