Sisters with Flair

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Origami box toot

I learned how to make these origami boxes back in the 4th grade. Who says you don't learn anything in school? I used to make them with black paper with puff paint gold stars and my mom would fill them with homemade chocolates for me to sell at my dad's work. He would just set them on his desk and bring home the cash. Pretty nice set up for a nine-year-old. I think they're a super cute way to present a gift- and now you can see how easy they are to make!
First you take a 12x12 piece of scrapbook paper.

Fold it in half diagonally.

Then fold it again.

Now, open it up again.

Now bring one corner to the very center where the folds meet. Do this to all four corners. Be very percise!


This is what it should look like now:)

Now, bring one side up and fold it on the fold.

Then bring your other side to meet it in the middle. (You may need a little help)

Next, open it up and fold both sides in again, only on the other side you haven't folded yet- does that make sense?

This is what it will look like- hopefully!

Next you'll need to cut carefully on the fold where I've shown. You only want to cut enough so that little triangle is apart, like I've shown here.

Now you'll need to make 3 more cuts, 2 cuts on each parallel side. Have you ever tried taking a picture of yourself cutting?! Yeah, it wasn't going to happen.

Next you'll fold the two sides up to build a little wall, and hold your hand there to keep it in place.

Using your other hand, you'll bring the flap OVER the wall you build and tuck the flap down into the bed of the box. Now do that on the other side too.

Now you have half of a box and you'll have to make another box- the same size- to have a complete set. To put the two sides together, you just have to wiggle and push it gently together.

Perfect place for a little gift- or to hide the easter eggs from Zac. He'd NEVER check inside that box. More starburst jellybeans for me!

Here's the completed box! That wasn't so bad, was it?

Disclaimer: Yes, I know I have ginormous hands.
I'm linking this up to today's creative blog get your craft on!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I remember you making these for Colonial Christmas House we thought you were so cute and crafty!

    ReplyDelete